In Native American mythology, squash, corn, and beans are known as the “three sisters.” This hearty harvest stew is perfect for fall. It combines warming spices like cinnamon and chili powder with pinto beans, seasonal butternut squash, and corn for a satisfying, fiber rich dinner. Leftovers heat up nicely for an easy hot lunch.
Three Sisters Stew
- 2 cups of pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 2-3 cups vegetable or chicken stock or water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2-3 cups butternut squash peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can 14-ounce of diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup grated cheese optional garnish
- Heat a 4-quart pot, add oil. Add onion, salt and garlic; sauté until onion is soft (5 minutes).
- Add cumin, oregano, cinnamon and chili powder and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add 1-2 cups of stock or water.
- Add squash and tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook until the squash is soft (about 20 minutes).
- Add beans and corn; simmer until corn is tender.
- Add remaining stock or water to desired thickness.
- Serve with a chunk of whole grain bread or over a bed of brown rice.
- Top with a sprinkle of grated cheese if desired.
Ready To Start Your Keto Diet?
If you’re still unsure about how to eat, what to eat or what to avoid, don’t worry you’re not alone! There is a little-known diet system called The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet which will teach you everything you need to know and guide you through your first 21 days (and beyond). Getting that in check will increase your metabolism and allow you to shed weight and shed it fast.
Over 10,000 men and women have benefited from The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet and many women reported losing up to 22 pounds and 5-7 inches from their waist in just a matter of 3 weeks—the methods in The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet are all backed by science
Check out this free presentation on The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet now to learn more about how to follow the diet—and lose weight and improve your life in 21 days.