This salad is delightfully nourishing and gives you all the benefits of kale, without the digestive distress. When you massage kale you break down some of the tough fibers in the cell wall that make raw kale hard to digest.
When I started eating healthy I couldn’t digest kale very well. It upset my digestion and I didn’t get what all the fuss was about. If this happens to you the solution is to either steam your kale or massage it. This recipe is one of my favorites because you still get all the amazing benefits of raw kale: the enzymes, magnesium, vitamin C and more.
Massaging nourishing oil and lemon juice into the kale also help make the nutrients more bio available and easier to assimilate. Plus, it tastes delicious and can be paired with grilled chicken or fish for a classic healthy meal.
Massaged Kale with Fennel
- 1 bunch kale chopped
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup thinly sliced fennel
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Add kale to a large mixing bowl along with lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Using clean, bare hands, massage the kale until it is wilted (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Once the kale is ready, top your salad with carrots, celery, fennel, and pine nuts. No extra dressing is needed.
- If kale is something that’s hard to digest for you, there might be a deeper issue that needs to be addressed. If you want to be able to eat whatever you want and have no digestive issues, you need to check out my gut health program. These principles have truly transformed my life as well as countless others.
Check out my new comprehensive program Restore your Gut Health.
To your gut health,