This West African peanut soup recipe is a creamy and comforting, spicy vegan soup. Made with a simple combination of peanut butter, tomato paste, and collard greens, this soup comes together quickly and can be a great weeknight meal. If you love spicy flavors like me, don’t hesitate to use liberal amounts of ginger and garlic.
West African Peanut Soup with Chickpeas
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 bunch collard greens or kale, ribs removed and leaves chopped into 1-inch strips
- ¾ cup unsalted peanut butter chunky or smooth
- ½ cup tomato paste
- Hot sauce like sriracha or tabasco
- ¼ cup roughly chopped peanuts for garnish
- Saute onions, ginger, garlic and salt in large pot for 10 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add sweet potatoes and cook on medium-low heat until sweet potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes).
- In a medium-sized, heat-safe mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter and tomato paste, then transfer 1 to 2 cups of the hot broth to the bowl. Whisk the mixture together until smooth, then pour the peanut mixture back into the soup and mix well. Stir in chickpeas and collard greens.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Optional: add hot sauce to taste and serve over cooked brown rice.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped peanuts.
Ready To Start Your Keto Diet?
If you’re still unsure about how to eat, what to eat or what to avoid, don’t worry you’re not alone! There is a little-known diet system called The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet which will teach you everything you need to know and guide you through your first 21 days (and beyond). Getting that in check will increase your metabolism and allow you to shed weight and shed it fast.
Over 10,000 men and women have benefited from The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet and many women reported losing up to 22 pounds and 5-7 inches from their waist in just a matter of 3 weeks—the methods in The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet are all backed by science
Check out this free presentation on The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet now to learn more about how to follow the diet—and lose weight and improve your life in 21 days.