I bet you thought meatloaf is one of those dishes you’d have to give up on keto. You thought wrong. This meatloaf is rich, satisfying, loaded with veggies, bacon, spices and it’s completely keto-friendly!
In this recipe I used zucchini, carrots, and onions for my veggies. I imagine you could swap out the carrots and onions for other veggies you may have on hand and/or prefer. I used grassfed beef, 80/20 which (in my humble opinion) was the perfect ratio of fat in this recipe.
Traditional meatloaf recipes call for flour or breadcrumbs which serve as a sort of meat binder. I used almond flour which works beautifully. Almond flour just provides the best texture in certain recipes, and this is one of them. The other flour typically used in keto recipes is coconut flour. Although I haven’t tried a straight substitution of almond and coconut flour, I do not recommend it. I imagine the flavor profile wouldn’t quite work out, and coconut flour is just significantly more drying. I usually have to cut the flour amount and/or add more liquids when I substitute for coconut flour.
There are very few steps in throwing together this meal but plan ahead for a longer cook time. The first time I made this recipe it was pure torcher smelling the incredible aromas of this meal in the oven for a full hour when they were already hangry!
Prep is simple: chop all your veggies and mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
Transfer to a prepared loaf pan.
Meatloaf typically needs to bake for the full hour.
Keto Zucchini Meatloaf
- 1 pound 80-percent lean ground beef
- 1 ⁄2 pound bacon chopped
- 1 zucchini finely chopped
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 11/4 cups almond flour
- Cooking spray for a loaf pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bacon, zucchini, carrot, and onion.
- Add the tomato paste, eggs, mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Add the almond our and mix again, making sure there are no clumps.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the preheated oven. Cook for 1 hour.
- Take the loaf from the oven and remove the foil. Return the loaf to the oven.
- Increase the heat to broil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the top is browned.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the meatloaf to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Run a knife along the inside edges of the pan to remove the meatloaf. 1Slice into 7 equal slices and serve.
Ready To Start Your Keto Diet?
If you’re still unsure about how to eat, what to eat or what to avoid, don’t worry you’re not alone! There is a little-known diet system called The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet which will teach you everything you need to know and guide you through your first 21 days (and beyond). Getting that in check will increase your metabolism and allow you to shed weight and shed it fast.
Over 10,000 men and women have benefited from The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet and many women reported losing up to 22 pounds and 5-7 inches from their waist in just a matter of 3 weeks—the methods in The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet are all backed by science
Check out this free presentation on The 3-Week Ketogenic Diet now to learn more about how to follow the diet—and lose weight and improve your life in 21 days.