Rice crispy treats will forever be one of those nostalgic desserts for me. While I can appreciate the simplicity of the original recipe on the back of the Rice Krispies box, the high fructose corn syrup (for one) makes the classic crispy treats less than ideal. Today I’m going to share with you a more guilt free version of the classic treat. We not only use homemade marshmallows but also a new favorite brand of cereal called Love Grown that uses plant based proteins, lentils and brown rice. I promise they don’t even taste one bit healthy, ha! Feel free to swap out for the classic Rice Krispies if you so desire.
Here are the fully prepared cocoa krispies.
Of course, my four year old had to add small M&Ms and candy eyeballs to make these Halloween themed!
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp non-hydrolized gelatin
- 2 cups sugar, organic and raw
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 box cocoa krispies
- Mix 1/2 cup of the water with the gelatin in a large mixing bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes, allowing to bloom.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix the other 1/2 cup of water and sugar and bring to a low boil. Allow sugar to dissolve completely and remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extra to water/gelatin mixture. Turn on mixer to low setting and slowly add in sugar/water mixture.
- Mix on low for two minutes until fully combined. Increase speed to high for 5-8 minutes until a marshmallow consistency forms.
- Melt butter on low heat in a large pot. Add prepared marshmallow batter and stir. Remove heat. Slowly add in cocoa cereal while stirring continuously.
- Once mixed completely, spread mixture into greased casserole dish.