Measles, known to doctors as rubeola, is a viral infection, that attacks the respiratory track, eyes, and skin. Although it is typically a childhood disease, adults are also susceptible. This is not the same disease as rubella, or German measles, and is caused by a different virus.
Measles is very contagious and is easily spread through the nose, mouth, or throat; secretions on articles or surfaces; or by coughing and sneezing.
Illness usually sets in between seven and fourteen days after exposure to the virus. The first symptoms include fever (temperature of 103°F or higher), cough, sneezing, runny nose, and red eyes that may be sensitive to light. Several days later, Koplik’s spots (tiny red spots with white centers) appear in the mouth and throat, the throat becomes sore, and a raised red rash erupts on the forehead and ears. Over a period of five to seven days, the rash spreads to all parts of the body.
In previously healthy children, measles usually runs its course for about ten days. However, it can be followed by a number of complications, some of them potentially serious. These include middle ear infection (especially in children with a history of repeated ear infections), bronchitis, croup, pneumonia, strep throat, and even, in rare cases, encephalitis or meningitis. Adults develop measles tend to suffer serious cases of the disease than children do.
Unless otherwise specified, the dosages recommended here are for adults. For children between the ages of twelve and seventeen, reduce the dose to three-quarters the recommended amount. For children between six and twelve, use one-half the recommended dose, and for the children under the age of six, use one-quarter the recommended amount.
Nutrients To Heal Measles Naturally
|Bio-Strath from Nature’s Answer||As directed on label.
|Acts as a tonic.
Contains the vitamin B complex. Use the liquid form.
|Calcium and magnesium||As directed on label.
|Needed for tissue repair.|
| Micellized vitamin A Emulsion from American Biologics
cod liver oil
|As directed on label.
If you are pregnant, do not exceed 10,000 IU daily.
10,000 IU twice daily for 1 week, then reduce to 10,000 IU once daily.
Do not exceed this dosage.
As directed on label.
|For adults. Needed for reduce infection and to repair tissues.
For children an able to swallow capsules
As directed on label
2-3 times daily, between meals.
Reduces infection and aids digestion.
|Raw thymus grandular||500 mg twice daily.||Stimulates the immune system.|
|Vitamin B complex
|100 mg of each major B vitamin 3 times daily or as directed on label (amounts of individual vitamins in a complex will vary).||Important in all bodily functions, including immune response and proper healing.
For a child under eight, use a formula designed specifially for children.
|Vitamin C with bioflavonoids||Adults: 3,000 – 10,000 mg daily, in divided doses.
Children: 1,000 – 3,000 mg daily in divided doses.
|Very important for immune function. Fight fever and infection. Has antiviral properties. Use an ascorbate or esterified form.|
|Vitamin E||200 IU every day or 400 IU every other day. Children’s dosage should not exceed 200 IU daily.||Neutralizes harmful free radicals, which can destroy cell membranes. Use d-alpha-tocopherol form.|
|Zinc lozenges||1 15-lozzenge 3 times daily for 4 day. Then reduce to 1 lozenge daily.
|For immune response and tissue repair. Reduces symptoms and speeds healing. Alslo relieves itchy throat and coughing.|
Herbs To Heal Measles Naturally
- Catnip tea or garlic enemas can be used to help to lower fever if necessary.
- Lobelia extract helps to relieve pain. Take ½ teaspoon of lobelia extract every four to five hours.
Caution: Do not take lobelia internally on an ongoing basis.
- Spirulina is helpful for bolstering the immune system and can help slow replication of the virus.
Recommendations For Naturally Healing Measles
- If you suspect that you or a member of your family has measles, see your healthcare provider. This is important for a correct diagnosis and to prevent serious complications.
- Drink plenty of fluids such as water, juices, herbal teas and vegetable broths.
- Avoid processed food.
- To help relieve coughing, mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons honey with ¼ cup water. Take as needed.
- To alleviate itching, place ½ cup of baking soda in a bathtub filled with lukewarm water and soak in the bath until the itching decreases. Gently applying witch hazel to the affected area also will help to ease the discomfort and itching associated with the rash.
- Try using homeopathic remedies to ease symptoms. Aconitum napellus(homeopathic monkshood) is the homeopathic version of vitamin C in that it is helpful in the initial stage of measles. Ferrum Phosphoricum (homeopathic phosphate of iron) is benefitial for mild infections.
- Rest until the rash and fever have disappeared.
- Keep the light dim. Do not read or watch television while your eyes are sensitive to lights.
- Do not send a child who has had measles to school until seven to nine days after the fever and rash have disappeared.
Considerations For Measles
- Doctors generally recommend that children receive two measles vaccinations, the first at the age of about fifteen months and the second either before entering school or at approximately twelve years of age. A second vaccination is now considered necessary because there have been outbreaks of measles a mong college students who received a single immunization in childhood.
However, certain individuals who should not be immunized against measles, including pregnant women and anyone who has cancer or a weakened immune system, is on cortisone or anticancer, is undergoing radiation therapy, or has any type of illness with fever. People who are allergic to eggs should mention this to their physicians prior to having the vaccine. A person who has had and recovered from measles does not require immunization; a single attack of measles give lifelong immunity to the disease.
- Short-term, high doses of vitamin A have been used to lessen the severity and complications of measles. Since high doses of vitamin A can be toxic, high dosages of this vitamin should be taken only for brief periods (two weeks or less) and should be monitored very carefully.
- Antibiotics are useless against viruses, so they are not called for unless complications occur.