I don’t “miss” many things, since I’ve chosen to eat and think in ABUNDANCE. If you adopt a new way of eating and start thinking you are restricting yourself, you will be setting yourself for failure.
This concept is one of the first lessons I learned coaching clients: DON’T take things away, especially from a woman…all that happens is they want it more.
So, I’ve learned to find substitutions for just about everything I consider “unhealthy.” Donuts were no exception.
Here is my short history with Gluten-Free Donuts:
When April my fiancé found out she was pregnant, she immediately started craving Donuts…and Pho, but that’s a completely different blog post…Pho real…
I didn’t even THINK to bake my own, because “I’m not a donut baker.” I didn’t go to pastry school, of course, I could NEVER bake donuts.
So, I went on a hunt to find gluten-free donuts and lo-and-behold I found them: pictured below, Katz Glazed Donuts…April (and myself) was thrilled!
But, as you well know just because something says “gluten-free” doesn’t mean it is healthy and you can eat them all the time.
We tried ALL of the Katz Gluten-free donut flavors and were hooked for a few months.
Much to our surprise, our favorite local restaurant Thai Fresh started baking Gluten-Free Donuts (Apple Cider Cinnamon) and these were spectacular and they were slightly BETTER ingredients.
Best. Saturday morning date with this little Princess EVER.
She’s going to love gluten-free donuts.
Now, my turn…I found the courage to attempt to bake donuts and holy moly was I glad I did!
You’ll need THIS donut pan to prepare the donuts in this particular recipe (click the picture to check it out on Amazon):
Gluten-Free Baked Banana Bread Donuts
Makes: 10 Donuts
Total Time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup, organic
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup Macadamia Nuts (you can use walnuts if preferred)
Glaze (optional if keeping no/low sugar):
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp. organic milk
- Pre-heat oven to 325° and grease your donut pan with coconut oil. Set aside. Chop or mash your nuts of choice. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to large mixing bowl. Set aside
- Beat egg in small bowl. Melt butter in small sauce pan, let cool. Mash bananas.
- Combine all wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Evenly add batter to donut holes. Top each donut with a few sprinkles of chopped nuts.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown tops.
Instructions for optional glaze:
- Brown butter in small sauce pan. Remove from heat after melted and slightly brown.
- Add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla
- Whisk until combined. Add warm to cooled donuts.